Patio Doors Will Not Shut

Have you ever had a tilt and slide patio door? I have, and they have always caused me hours of pain and misery! I am not kidding! I remember one time I was trying to shut the tilt and slide door after a party. Its so nice to have the patio door open and the breeze flowing into the house on a hot summers afternoon, and its even nicer when you have a lot of people over for a party as well. It makes it easier for people to get in and out of the house for food and drinks if there are 2 entrances back into the house. Well the party went great, good food and wine, and everybody was happy. I was really happy because the next day I was going on holiday and all that was left to do was the cleaning up. Not so bad as usual, the cleaning up, and it was getting dark outside, so i decided to close the patio door as well. Here came the problem - the door had come off its rail and would not budge. It was like it was jammed stuck and I could not close it.

I had 3 choices to try and solve the situation

1) Call somebody out to fix it at very short notice which is very expensive.
2) Try and wedge the door shut and go on holiday with the knowledge in my mind that the house could easily be broken into
3) Call my dad who lies 20 miles away and try and get him to come over.

In the end, I decide that calling the professional over was the thing to do, so I call my dad. The way to fix a problem with a tilt and slide door is this. It has a locating pin that will collapse on the hinges and the bottom of the door closest to the frame, then you have to push the top of the frame then push the handle down to close it. The locating pin was hitting the top of the stopper and not managing to get it back in. Still with me on this? I found a very small broken collar that sits around the pivot pushing the pin a little closer to the locator. It had broken and fallen out the locator pin was not lining up. The only way i can see of fixing this is a whole new locator hardware on the bottom of the door. So this is what you need to do. Go to a big DIY store and find a new locator for the bottom of the door, once that has been fitted, your worries should be over - thanks Dad!

Nick Schofield - EzineArticles Expert Author

No comments:

Free Web Hosting with Website Builder